MONDAY, OCTOBER 16
- Attention all high school students. This is a reminder that there is math team practice today after school in Room 212. Please see Mr. Goehner if you have any questions.
- Today we welcome Tyler Kotzmacher who is visiting with Luke Hause in 9th grade. Welcome to Hill-Murray Tyler and have a great day!
- Hey Pioneers, the Peer Ministers are collecting any used and clean Halloween Costumes. These costumes will be given to kids who cannot afford a costume this year. Please bring any costumes to Campus Ministry by October 23rd.
- Attention Middle Schoolers: The Peer Ministers are hosting a fun, Halloween event!
WHEN: OCTOBER 24TH, 2:30-3:30 P.M.
All you have to do is sign up outside Mrs. Barbato's office. There are limited spots available for this event, so sign up soon! Everything will be provided.
- Friday's Trivia Question was . . . . What are the names of Spain's monarchs who financed the expedition of Christopher Columbus to the New World?
The answer is: King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain.
The winners are Rachel Meniboon and Bomi Omoyeni.
There were 103 pieces of candy in the Piñata. The winner is Brianna Sato.
All 3 winners can come to room 213 to get your prizes!! We hope you all enjoyed Hispanic Heritage Week of 2017!
- There will be a mandatory Sowers of Justice meeting TODAY for all those planning on participating in the Cardboard Box sleep out. You may attend either at 2:20 pm.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13
- There will be a mandatory Sowers of Justice meeting on Monday Oct. 16 for all those planning on participating in the Cardboard Box sleep out. You may attend either at 7:30am or 2:20pm.
- If you were interested in auditioning for the Christmas Variety Show, but got nervous or doubted yourself, today after school is your chance to audition! No need to prepare anything! Just show up and Mr. Ballentine will work with you to see if it might work out! Email him with any questions!
- Tonight's Friday the 13th performance of THE CRUCIBLE is SOLD OUT. There are 30 tickets remaining for our last performance on Saturday night at 7pm. Student Tickets are free at the door, but $5 in advance. You may want to get advance tickets if you want to see it! Visit the theatre page on the Hill-Murray website to buy tickets!
- !Buenos Días
Yesterday's trivia question was: What is La Sagrada Familia and where is it located?
The answer is: La Sagrada Familia is a large Roman Catholic church, located in Barcelona, Spain.
The winners can pick up your prizes in room 213!
Today's Fun Fact is about La Sagrada Familia. It was designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi. The structure of this magnificent church began in 1882 and is expected to be finished by 2026.
Today's trivia question is in recognition of yesterday, October 12th, which was Columbus Day or el Día de la Raza: What are the names of Spain's monarchs who financed the expedition of Christopher Columbus to the New World?
Please submit your answers in the LMC.
Today you will hear a variety of Hispanic music over the PA between classes. There will also be live Mariachi music during lunches. We hope you enjoy it!!
- Today we welcome Connor Williams who is visiting with Drew Burns in 9th grade. Have a great day Connor!
- This morning we will welcome almost 600 guests to Hill-Murray for Grandparents Day. Students attending the event should have received a green pass in their first hour class yesterday or today. At the end of first hour, these students should drop books off in their lockers and proceed directly to the field house to meet their grandparents.
- High School Students - Have you had a chance to experience the Virtual Reality equipment in the Innovation Center yet? It's truly amazing and also has amazing potential, but it needs you. If you have an interest in VR and want to learn how to design games and applications in Virtual Reality, check out the informational meeting for the VR game design club this Friday (the 13th) after school in room 129.
- Digital Music Club meets today after school in Room 033.
- This announcement is for all students: in preparation for the Fall Open House on Monday, please take down all locker signs. Thank you!
- This is a friendly reminder Pioneer fans that everyone has to pay for section games. Adults are $8 and students are $6. Come out and cheer on the boys soccer team Saturday at 1 p.m. at Harding HS and the girls will be playing at home tomorrow at 3 p.m.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12
- Auditions for the Christmas show and middle school cabaret are today after school! Be there!
- Buenos Días
Yesterday's trivia question was: Name 2 relatives of the LLAMA, found mainly in Peru.
The answer is: ALPACA and the VICUÑA. The CAMEL was also accepted as an answer
The winners are Kasanna Klaas & Mae Woods
Pick up your prizes in room 213
Today's fun fact is: In recent years, the book Don Quijote written by Miguel de Cervantes, a famous author from Spain was voted the most meaningful book of all times. Some of our English teachers may agree with this!
Today's trivia question will need 2 answers: What is La Sagrada Familia and where is it located?
Submit your answers in the LMC and make you best guess of the amount of candy in the Piñata and win it.
- Don't forget to pick up your T-shirt from your Spanish teacher for the out of uniform day on Friday. You may wear any of the other 6 designs from previous years that are displayed in the Cafeteria. Remember to be clean, neat, and modest.
- High School Students, have you had a chance to experience the Virtual Reality equipment in the Innovation Center yet? It's truly amazing and also has amazing potential, but it needs you. If you have an interest in VR and want to learn how to design games and applications in Virtual Reality, check out the informational meeting for the VR game design club this Friday (the 13th) after school in room 129.
- All 6th and 7th grade boys interested in learning more about Jr Pioneer hockey please come to the Athletic Office this week to pick up a handout with next steps and details.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11
- Grandparents Day is this Friday. Students attending the event will receive a pass in their first hour class tomorrow. These students should drop off their books in their locker and head to the field house after their first hour class to meet their grandparents. Much of the main parking lot will be blocked off for our guests. Please carpool if possible on Friday to reduce the number of vehicles and allow extra time to find parking and get into the school from farther away then normal.
- Sowers of Justice will be meeting on Thursday at 7:15 am to discuss the Cardboard Box sleep out. This is a mandatory meeting for anyone sleeping out. See you there.
- Due to the middle school field trip, digital music club will meet Friday after school in Room 033. See Mr. Jensen with questions or to rent out equipment.
- Buenos Días! Yesterday's Hispanic Heritage Month trivia question was about Guatemala's former capital. The answer is: Antigua. Antigua is an UNESCO World Heritage site and is one of the cities that Hill-Murray students will visit this spring break.
Yesterday's trivia winners are: Maddie Nimmo and Hannah Harwell – You can pick up your prize in 213.
Today's trivia is: Name 2 relative of the Llama.
Put answers in the trivia box in the LMC. Don't forget to guess the candy in the piñata.
- Attention Baseball players in grades 10-12: There will be a brief informational meeting after school today in the Team Room.
- Are you looking for a couple of fun service opportunities that would benefit kids living in our neighborhood? If so, this Thursday, immediately after school, our friends at Webster Elementary School are asking Hill-Murray students to help organize food for their "backpack food program" which provides meals for disadvantaged Webster students who have no food on the weekends. The second opportunity would be helping to chaperone their Halloween Dance this Friday from 6 to 8pm. If you're interested in either or both of these activities, please sign up with Mr. Cooper in room 126 or with senior Katelyn Donnatell. Thanks, Hill-Murray.
- Boys Soccer sections start Thursday at home at 7 p.m.. The girls play their first section game at 3 p.m. on Saturday Please come out and support your fellow Pioneers. Section tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for students.
- All 6th and 7th grade boys interested in learning more about Jr Pioneer hockey please come to the Athletic Office this week to pick up a handout with next steps and details.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10
- Auditions for the Christmas variety show & middle school cabaret are today and Thursday after school! Sign up outside the theatre office! Mr. Ballentine and Ms. Walth are available during W.I.N. times to help you prepare! Theatre needs some new blood! Come out and audition!
- Buenos Días!
Yesterday's Hispanic Heritage Trivia Question was: What area of Spain just had an illegal election where they voted for independence?
The winners are... You may pick up your Chipotle gift card and buy one, get one card in Room 213!
Today's fun fact is: Spanish is the native language of an estimated 400-500 million people, making it the world's second most spoken language. Spanish is the official language of 20 countries, as well as Puerto Rico.
Today's trivia question is: This former capital of Guatemala is a beautiful colonial city and is a Unesco World Heritage site. What is the name of this city?
Submit your answer in the LMC before Period 7 today!
- A reminder to all Book Club Members - please sign up for Wednesday Block C in Room 122.
- Attention all Juniors - The required career shadowing parent permission slip is past due. Please have your parents sign it and turn it in to the Guidance Office this week. Let your Counselor know if you are having trouble finding someone to shadow. Points for career shadowing go toward your English grade.
- Calling all girls in grades 7-12! Come to the Dance Team pre-season meeting on Thursday, October 12th at 7:00pm in the Cafeteria! Learn more about the sport, meet the coaching staff and captains, and sign up for the season! No experience needed
MONDAY, OCTOBER 9
- Attention all juniors: The required Career Shadowing parent permission slip is past due. Please have your parents sign it and turn it in to the Guidance Office this week. Let your counselor know if you are having trouble finding someone to Shadow. Points for Career Shadowing go toward your English grade.
- Hola! Today is the beginning of Hill-Murray's Hispanic Heritage Week. Please check your emails for a list of events for the week. Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15.
Here is an interesting fact: The word Hurricane comes from the Taiño Indians of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
Today's trivia question: What area of Spain just had an illegal election where they voted for independence.
Drop off your answers in the LMC before 7th hour today. Gracias!
- Attention all high school students. This is a reminder that there is math team practice today after school at 2:45 in Room 212. Please see Mr. Goehner if you have any questions.
- Meet in the theatre after school TODAY to learn, practice, review, or get help with the audition dance. Mr. Ballentine will also be available during W.I.N. times on Tuesday and Wednesday if you need any help. Ms. Walth will be available during W.I.N. times on Tuesday if you'd like help with the audition song.
- Auditions for A VERY HILL-MURRAY CHRISTMAS and the MIDDLE SCHOOL CABARET are this TUESDAY and THURSDAY after school. Please sign up for an audition slot on the callboard outside the theatre area, across from the choir room. Check your email for a google drive link from Mr. Ballentine with all the audition materials and information you need! Meet in the theatre after school TODAY to learn, practice, review, or get help with the audition dance. Mr. Ballentine will also be available during W.I.N. times on Tuesday and Wednesday if you need any help. Ms. Walth will be available during W.I.N. times on Tuesday if you'd like help with the audition song.
- Thanks to everyone who checked out THE CRUCIBLE this past weekend. We only have two shows left, this Friday and Saturday night at 7pm! See you there!
- Tomorrow we will welcome grandparents of our many of our 7th grade students. Students attending the lunch with grandparents will receive a note in first hour. They will be dismissed
at 11:15and that they should head straight to the faculty lounge near the auditorium. Please welcome our guests as they tour the school after their lunches.
- Calling all girls in grades 7-12! Come to the Dance Team pre-season meeting on Thursday, October 12th at 7:00 PM in the Cafeteria! Learn more about the sport, meet the coaching staff and captains, and sign up for the season! No experience needed.
- BOOK CLUB will be meeting During C WIN TIME on Wednesday Oct 11 in room 122. Please sign up outside room 122.
- Attention Baseball players in grades 10-12: there will be a short informational meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 10 from 2:30PM-3:00PM in the Team Room.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5
- Any middle school girl interested in playing basketball this year at Hill-Murray is invited to come to the cafeteria after checking into home base today. Coach Hartzell will be here to speak to all who are interested and sign up. You need to report directly to the cafeteria for a brief 15 minute interest meeting before lunch.
- Today is the last day to register for AYD! Make sure to drop your permission form in Campus Ministry before the end of the day!
- Auditions for the Christmas Variety Show AND the Middle School Cabaret are next week after school! Check out the link in your email from Mr. Ballentine for the audition song or prepare your own! The audition sign up will be posted by the end of the school day today!
- Monday is the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Week. Spanish students are reminded of the KICK OFF FIESTA on Monday at 2:40 in the Staff Lounge. We hope to see you!
- This is a reminder that there is no Digital Music Club today. Feel free to stop by room 033 another time to use or rent the equipment.
- Today we welcome Eden Carr visiting with Gionna Carr in 9th grade, Connor Duval visiting with JP Yocum in 8th grade, and Luke Rausch in 9th grade, and Timothy Nelson visiting with Sam Lavigne in 6th grade. Welcome to Hill-Murray and have a great day!
- Good Morning Pioneers! This is Maddie Renberg and this is Joel LaChappelle with DECA
The answer is: Traditional, Roth, Spousal, Rollover IRA, (Roth) 401(k), TSA(Tax Sheltered Annuity)/403(b), 457(b), Defined Benefit Plan, TSP(Thrift savings plan)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4
- Good Morning Pioneers! This is Maddie Renberg and this is Joel LaChappelle with DECA.
- This is a reminder for all middle school students. Junior Achievement meets today after school in room 035.
- Join the CIA—The Catholics in Action. Come to the info meeting TOMORROW at 7:20am in Campus Ministry—there will be Bagels! But most importantly, come to know Jesus in a dynamic way, not simply as a mere piece of crucifix plastic that silently hangs as we pass by. After all, this club is not about the activities we do. It's about an encounter. Our deep longing is that this club facilitates a powerful encounter between you and Jesus, because whether we are aware of it or not, we need to rediscover Jesus. And this is not a shallow rediscovery.
- Hey Pioneers, this is Maddie Rausch and Maddie Nimmo, the leaders for Sowers of Justice. We would like to thank everyone who donated money towards the Hurricane Relief. We raised $588.40; middle schoolers came in first, great job. The money raised will be sent to the Red Cross and distributed to where it is needed most. We would also like to inform everyone about the meeting tomorrow morning at 7:20 am in Mrs. Janssen's room, room 030. We will be discussing the Cardboard Box Sleepout. If you are interested, please come; we highly recommend it. All are welcome to join. Thank you, and have a great day!
- Seniors: Meet Ms. Egan in the COMMONS during WIN TIME on Tuesday and Wednesday this week! No sign-up is needed.COME PREPARED with what you are stuck on and bring your laptop! Concentrated effort and aligning all the application details now will get your application out the door promptly! ALSO: your Senior Advisory on Wednesday Oct 4 (1:30-2:30) is a presentation by OUR COLLEGE REP NICK KELLER at the University of Minnesota!* Hear from one of the very best university systems in the USA! Who knows? Your dream career could be found at a U of MN campus in your own state backyard!
- Yesterday's financial literacy trivia question was: What is the difference between a checking account and a savings account? And the answer is: A checking account lets you easily access your money for daily transactions; a savings account is meant to help grow your money over time. The trivia winner is xxxx Please stop by room 035 to claim your gift card.
- Share your faith story, or begin your faith journey. Join the community. Walk together with other Catholics in Action. It doesn't matter if you are new to the faith or are practically a canonized saint. Join the CIA. Come to the info meeting THIS THURSDAY, October 5th, at 7:20am in Campus Ministry. All are welcomed as Christ.
- Come to morning praise tomorrow morning in the chapel! Mr. Ranweiler will be leading on the topic of discipleship. See you at 7:15!
- This is for all high school students. If you are interested in joining DECA, membership contracts are DUE to Mrs. Donnelly no later than this Thursday, October 5. Contracts may be place in the DECA bin in room 035.
- Attention Seniors: If you will be 18 years of age on or before Nov. 7th, you will be eligible to vote on that day in local elections held in Minnesota. To save you time on election day, representatives of the League of Women Voters will be here this Thursday, during all lunch periods, to register you. If you are an American citizen, you only need to show your driver's license or the last four digits of your Social Security number to register.
- Attention all students: Please join us for a C.A.R.E. planning meeting tomorrow morning at 7:15 a.m. in the Staff Lounge. We will be planning Red Ribbon Week, along with other caring events. Donuts will be served. All are welcome and encouraged to attend! Hope to see you there!
MONDAY, OCTOBER 2
- The fall play, THE CRUCIBLE, opens this Friday! Advance tickets are $5, but student tickets are FREE at the door. See you Friday or Saturday night at 7pm or Sunday at 2pm! Please come out and support your fellow classmates in Arthur Miller's classic story of the Salem Witch Trials. Also, auditions for the Christmas Variety Show AND the Middle School Cabaret are next Tuesday & Thursday. Check your email later this week for all the details!
- Good Morning Pioneers! It is Financial Literacy Week!
- Our focus this year is on savings!
Today’s trivia question is: What is the difference between a checking account and a savings account?
Be sure to stop by our table in the cafeteria during lunches to answer this question and participate in our activities!
Tomorrow’s topic is college savings and we encourage you to wear college spirit wear tomorrow! That’s right - tomorrow is an out of uniform day. Simply wear college spirit wear, or wear your uniform.
- Are you interested in giving virtual reality a try? Join us tomorrow, October 3rd at 2:30 in the Innovation Center across from the LMC for a Girls VR Hour. Visit different countries, explore under the sea, design and produce 3D works of art, and more! Hope to see you there!
- Hey students, if you have an interest in playing chess, please feel free to come to Mr. Gapinski's room (room 046) after school on Monday's. This will run the entire year, so even if you aren't available now, you are welcome to start anytime! It doesn't matter if you don't know the first thing about chess, we will teach you how to play and some strategies for success! Or if you can't make it on Monday's but still want to be involved, stop in or email Mr. Gapinski and we can make it work.
- This is a reminder for Middle School Students interested in joining Math Team - Mrs. Sabraski is looking forward to seeing you after school TODAY in room 027. There will be treats! Hope to see you there!
- Attention Girls Basketball players grades 6-12: There is a mandatory player/parent meeting next Wednesday, October 11 at 6:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria. Stop in to Coach Herman's office to sign up and pick up information!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
- Attention Seniors: You are welcome to be in the LMC during WIN, but you must sign up. We have a max of 45 students. Thank you!
- Attention Hill-Murray Girls: Have you wanted to try Virtual Reality but haven't had a chance yet? Are you interested in learning more about VR? Join us after school Tuesday, October 3rd in the Innovation Center across from the LMC for a girls only VR hour. Come any time between 2:30 and 3:30. Hope to see you there!
- In a few years it will all be gone. Hill-Murray—gone! High school drama—gone! Friends and relationships—gone! Nothing much will stay consistent, so cling to the rock that is faith. Join the CIA, and experience the awesome gift that God and his Church provide. Come October 5th to the info meeting at 7:20am in Campus Ministry! After all, you were not made for mediocrity; you were made for greatness. See you in the CIA!
- Attention all middle school students! Do you like playing games and exploring math concepts through hands-on activities? If so, Middle School Math Team is the place for you! Come to Mrs. Sabraski's room, 027, after school on Monday, October 2 to find out what Math Team is all about. There will be treats! Hope to see you there!